GCSE Drama 2017
This enjoyable, yet challenging TWO year course, following the AQA specification, will run from September 2017 – July 2019 and is open to pupils who, in September 2017, will be in Year 8 or above. Assessment components for GCSE Drama are listed below;
Component 1: Understanding drama
This component is a written exam in which students are assessed on their knowledge and understanding of how drama and theatre is developed and performed (AO3), including in connection to a set play and on their ability to analyse and evaluate the live theatre work of others (AO4). The paper constitutes 40% of the GCSE.
Component 2: Devising drama
This is a practical component in which students are assessed on their ability to create and develop ideas to communicate meaning for theatrical performance (AO1), apply theatrical skills to realise artistic intentions in live performance (AO2) and analyse and evaluate their own work (AO4). Component 2 constitutes 40% of the GCSE. It is marked by teachers and moderated by AQA.
For this component students are required to complete the following two assessment tasks:
- produce an individual Devising log documenting the devising process
- contribute to a final devised duologue or group performance.
- The Devising log is marked out of 60.
Each student’s contribution to the final devised performance is marked out of 20.
Component 3: Texts in practice
This component is a practical component in which students are assessed on their ability to apply theatrical skills to realise artistic intentions in live performance (AO2). Component 3 constitutes 20% of the GCSE. It is marked by AQA.
For this component students must complete two assessment tasks:
- study and present a key extract (monologue, duologue or group performance)
- study and present a second key extract (monologue, duologue or group performance) from the same play.
Each student’s contribution to each key extract performance is marked out of 20.
The course will follow local secondary school term dates as shown below and will be on offer, subject to minimum enrolment quotas at our Waterfoot branch. Class will meet weekly for an hour and a half on Wednesdays 4-5:30pm
|AUTUMN||04 / 09/ 2017||30/ 10 / 2017||25 / 12 / 2017|
|SPRING||08 / 01 / 2018||12 / 02 / 2018||26 / 03 / 2018|
|SUMMER||9 / 04 / 2018||28 / 05 / 2018||16 / 07 / 2018|
|AUTUMN||03 / 09/ 2018||22/ 10 / 2018||24 / 12 / 2018|
|SPRING||07 / 01 / 2019||18 / 02 / 2019||1 / 04 / 2019|
|SUMMER||23/ 04 / 2019||27 / 05 / 2019||15 / 07 / 2019|
- Classes will be taught by Jemma Dransfield, assisted by other RDDC staff, where appropriate.
- Fees are £140 per term and are due at the start of each term and are non refundable. Payment can be made by cash, cheque or debit card. One term’s notice of withdrawal is required. Fees include all lesson preparation, tuition, marking and assessment but exclude any theatre visit or books. An Exam fee of £45 is also payable in the Spring Term 2017. Pupils will be expected to provide an A4 ring binder, paper, pens, etc.
- Results from the GCSE course are known in August 2019.
- We have an excellent record of success in GCSE examinations and look forward to sharing the course with you.
- What next? If you are interested or have any queries then please speak to Jemma. If you wish to apply for the course please complete the attached enrolment form link below and hand it to your teacher or to RDDC reception. We will then be in touch to confirm your place.
- We hope you are looking forward to the course as much as we are!